top of page

WHAT YOU CAN DO IF YOU ARE Intimidated, harassed, or assaulted

Report Hate Crimes and Discrimination

  • Document what happened. If you can do it safely, take photos or record video/audio coverage. No matter what, write down what happened, where it happened, and when it happened. Do it while it is fresh in your mind.

  • Get the names and contact info for any witnesses.

  • Report it. Share what happened with at least one person or organization you feel comfortable with. 

  • File a complaint with the ACLU of Idaho.  ACLU of Idaho monitors civil rights violations throughout the state. Sometimes they can help with referrals or other aid. 

  • If you are in a public school, file a formal grievance. Look on your school district or college website for grievance and civil rights policies. Follow the procedure to make sure your grievance is complete and on time.

  • You can also file a grievance if you are in prison, jail, or a state hospital. Ask staff for the grievance procedure and follow it.

  • Your workplace or private school may have a grievance policy, too.

  • If you are bullied or attacked by your partner or a family member, you can call the Idaho Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-669-3176 or the Idaho Legal Aid hotline at 1-877-500-2980.


To watch a video of this information in English, with subtitles in all languages listed, click here. 









Coeur d'Alene Police Department

To file a complaint, please call the Non-emergency phone: (208) 769-2320 or submit an anonymous tip on your phone:


Post Falls Police Department

To file a complaint, please call the Non-emergency phone: (208) 773-3517 or submit an anonymous tip on your phone:


ACLU of Idaho

Phone: (208) 344-9750

Click Here to Report a Civil Rights Violation


Idaho Human Rights Commission

Phone: (208) 334-2873

Click Here to File a Complaint 


Kootenai County Task Force on Human Relations

Phone: (208) 765-3932


Bonner County Human Rights Task Force

Phone: (208) 290-2732



Love Lives Here CDA

Click Here to Report an incident of discrimination, intimidation, or violence


Safe Passage of North Idaho (Counseling and Support)

​Phone: (208) 664-9303

Text: (208) 449-7228



Lambda Legal

If you are seeking assistance with a legal matter involving sexual orientation, gender identity or HIV, please call the Lambda Legal office in your region 


Western Regional Office

Phone: 213-382-7600


US Attorney's Office - Idaho

District of Idaho - Coeur d'Alene Office Phone: (208) 667-6568


Coeur d’Alene FBI Office

Phone: (208) 664-5128 and

bottom of page